6.02.2008

The Blacksmith, at His Wife's Headstone


I was careless,
When I loved you,
And I still think that was best.
Our two children are doing well,
And I've kept food on the table.
Sometimes it's real hard,
When I think about being here without you,
So I try to find as much work as possible,
But I just can't go to sleep most nights,
I took the pillow you slept on,
Put it in the chair by my closet,
So it won't lose your smell.
We gave your clothes to your sister,
Like you wanted,
But I kept one of your summer dresses,
The one our daughter always wanted to wear,
I want to give it to her to be married in someday,
If I can't afford a new white gown.
Everyone still loves you down here,
They don't even say mean things in the bars,
Which, truth be told I visited for the first few days,
But you knew I'd do about as much.
I brought you fresh flowers again,
And my love,
Again.
You will forever have my love, Kate.

No comments: