1.07.2008

Coming Up On It

It's a training ground,
And I can't say we haven't learned anything,
Because you're not stopping me,
And I think I know where my feet go next,
So we sit slicked back,
Lazily amongst blue tableclothed plastic tables,
With plastic cutlery,
And a sort of richness of soul,
That knowing look,
And I can't even see you from where I am,
But we've come here before,
On long nights in the patient dark,
And we've shed nothing,
That was most important,
I know that it's a risk more than yours,
But that's where we are,
And you have been wonderful.

1 comment:

Mrs. Baker said...

I like "on long nights in the patient dark"--nice imagery with personification. I'm mulling the comma after "nothing"--does "that was most important" modify nothing, saying that we haven't shed anything that was important, or is "that was most important" a clause by itself, saying that it's most important that we shed nothing? Interesting ambiguity.